Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Finally had to go with template to get everything on the page. I'm okay with it. Doesn't have the pop the first template had, has none of the probs the second one had, so I'll stick with it if it will stick with me.
This is Cynthia's kimono for the play. I've cut out the brocade and basted it together, sewed the seams I'm sure of as I cut and draped it. The sleeves are serendipitous due to two factors: The brocade we bought had sun damage along one end of the goods. I'd planned on cutting around and above these and then would use the balance for piping or bias. I added the sleeve extensions deliberately placing the fabric so that the satin changed the light with the direction of the grain fro a two-toned effect. I liked the color contrast so much that I thought that the sleeve lining could use up the lightened fabric. Starting to look like a 1920s stripper's kimono!
The sleeves are on, need a pressing and lining needs to be stitched down. The collar panel will go on today. I did not use the traditional front and side gores because I thought the effect over her show costume would make her look hippy with all the extra folds.
Note to brocade users: Serge the edges of every single piece or you'll end up with brocade fibres in your feed dogs, seams, stitching arm, George and your mouth. They're especially worrisome when there's static in the air!
Posted by Unknown at 9:01 AM